Image Map

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Plural Nouns….and a stoplight?

We are a family of educators.  My husband is also a teacher.  He teaches one of the best. classes. ever. in high school…..Driver’s Ed.  Talk about easy classroom management.  He gets to dangle a driver's license in front of their nose.  What teenager is going to mess with him?  All kidding aside though, he is an amazing teacher and really loves his job.  So, what does that bit of info have to do with this post?  Well, I was thinking that it was fitting that I used a driving analogy while teaching my students how to write plural nouns.  I have been using this method for about 8 years now and I love it. 
Green light nouns are most nouns.  You can just add s and keep on moving.  Yellow light nouns (my stoplight has 2 yellow lights) are the nouns that you have to slow down and use caution.  They have rules that you have to follow.  Red light nouns nouns are the irregular nouns.  You need to stop, think, and change the spelling!  I make a foldable with my class as we learn these and then we do LOTS of practice!
001
002
The stoplight noun foldable is part of my plural nouns pack available here at my TpT store. 
On a side note, I was asked by my principal this year to be our grade level leader (we have a fairly large grade level, there are 5 sections of third grade).  I am curious.  How often do you meet as a grade level?  If you are the G.L. leader at your school, what do you do for your team?  What does your team leader do for your team?  I don’t feel like I am doing a very good job right now, but I also don’t want to appear to “know it all,” or like I am trying to make everyone do the things I do.  Just curious and wanted to hear what teacher blog land has to say!
Have a Happy Wednesday Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment