Image Map

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Finding the Main Idea….Candy Corn Style!

Finding the main idea is such an important skill and every year we spend quite a bit of time practicing it.  I have used many graphic organizers and fun things over the years, but my favorite by far is also the simplest.  We call it the Main Idea Triangle.  I love it for a few reasons.  #1  Students can visually see that the facts and details are what “hold up",” the main idea.  #2 It is so easy to draw that they can draw it anywhere, their whiteboard, the back of their paper, etc… and #3  Because they can draw it on their own I don’t have to waste a ton of copy paper making worksheets.
viewer
A few weeks ago, I introduced my students to the triangle for the very first time.  Now, I need to tell you that I have a boy this year who L.O.V.E.S. all things Halloween.  It is hands down his favorite holiday of the year!  OBSESSED!  So of course, when I showed them the triangle he immediately thought…..”Candy Corn!!!”  So, now my entire class calls this the main idea candy corn and they all insist on coloring it to look like candy corn when we are done!
I was inspired by my candy corn lovin’ students and made a Candy Corn Comprehension center for our short 2 hour school days coming up this week.   The triangle itself you can grab for free by clicking the picture.  The center activity is for sale at my TpT store

 Would love some feedback, let me know what you think!  Have a great weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment