Image Map

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Our Week in Rewind

Whew….sitting here on Saturday morning, laptop in front of me and a cup of coffee in my hand.  I am so thankful for our 3 day weekend.  This week was exhausting! 

Friday

My kids are all fired up about “Fast Fact Fridays.”  One of our biggest goals for the year is to be automatic with our facts by the end of third grade.  Unfortunately, I have yet to come up with a way to assess and motivate them to practice that doesn’t involve a timed test.  So, instead of calling it a timed test, I call it “Fast Facts,” and we do them every Friday.  As they pass their facts they earn paper pieces to build an ice cream sundae.  The 2 facts are the bowl, the 3 facts a banana, the 4 facts a scoop of ice cream…etc…  I don’t have a pic of them, I will take one this week and post it.  In the spring we have an ice cream sundae party and they get to make a real sundae that looks like their paper one.  It is the best thing I have found to motivate and encourage them.  I would love to hear what my fellow third grade teachers do!  Anyways, if they finish their fast facts early, I have them check their answers and then they can turn the paper over and write me a note.  I found this one yesterday…..

fast fact note

He is “again a winner,” clearly we still need to work on spelling! :)

Thursday

We wrapped up our multiplication unit this week and moved on to division. We started slow, just learning about division as making equal groups.  We used these task cards……

Division-grouping task cards

Slide1Slide2

I gave a set of 8 to each table group.  Each student also got a cup of beans to make the groups on their whiteboards.  They had fun and were able to really see what division is all about.  The cards are in my Tpt store if you are interested.

Wednesday

I did quite a bit of reading over break and implemented Morning Meeting in my classroom when we returned from break.  My kiddos LOVE it.  We already have students leading it and they are having so much fun.  On Wednesday, during the “How Are You Feeling?” portion of the meeting one of my kiddos shared that she was feeling “sleepy.”  She said “Mrs. Wood, I had such a hard time falling asleep last night because I could not stop thinking about our read aloud book.”  While I was sad to hear that she was tired, how great is that!  They have been begging me for read aloud time every day this week.  Here is the book we are reading.

No Flying in the House

My third grade teacher, Mrs. Raum-Fisher, read it aloud to my third grade class and it quickly become my favorite book that year!  Now, I read it aloud to my classes.

Tuesday

Tuesday was one of the most anxiety filled days of the year for me, and it wasn’t really related to school.  My husband is the Men’s Varsity Basketball coach at the high school down the street from us.  We also have another high school, like a mile away!  Yes, that close.  Anyways, needless to say that because of the proximity and the fact that many students choose which school to go to, they are rivals.  They call the rivalry game “King of the Court,” and there is a traveling trophy and everything.  The gym is packed, you can’t hear a thing over the cheering, and it is STRESS filled for the coach’s wife!  The game this year was incredible.  And……..yes, my hubby’s team won by 2 points!  So fun watching his team receive the trophy after the game.  Now….we get to do this all over again in 2 weeks, ugh….they have to play each other again!  For now, we will enjoy the victory!

King of the Court

Monday

What can I say….it was a Monday.  But, sweet notes like this make getting up in the morning and coming to school that much better!

note

Enjoy the weekend everyone!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment