Image Map

Saturday, March 15, 2014

Five For Friday {Spring Break Style}

fiveforfriday2_thumb[3]

All good things must come to an end….and so, my spring break is ending.  Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love what I do.  I love teaching and I adore my kiddos.  But, this week, I loved being home.  I loved getting caught up around the house and hanging out with my family.  I just want a few more days, that’s all.  So, here is what we’ve been up to this week.

Divider 1

I’m kind of embarrassed to tell you that we have lived in our house for 14 years, been married for 17 years, and have never had a guest room or really any place for people to sleep if they visited.  So, needless to say, we haven’t had many visitors during those 17 years!  The extra bedroom in our house was our girls’ playroom for the last 14 years.  Our first major task over Spring Break was to tackle that room and finally turn it into a proper guest room. 
I wish I had thought ahead enough to take before pictures but sadly I didn’t.  Here is the big reveal though!

photo 3

I still have some finishing touches to add before it will be completely finished.  I feel like such a grown up to finally have a place for people to stay when they want to come visit.
The mirror is my favorite part of the room right now.  It was a hand me down from my in-laws when they moved.  The frame was originally gold.  So, free frame + 6 dollar bottle of spray paint + a little bit of vinyl through my Silhouette machine = a pretty cheap piece for the room!

photo 2

Divider 2

Now that we finally had a guest bedroom, it was time for a guest!  My mom flew in from Tennessee to spend some time with us and today I am driving her to my sister’s to spend their week of spring break with my nieces!  It was a busy week filled with shopping, crafts, and introducing her to all our favorite spots!

photo 1

My mom’s name is Rita, so of course we had to get a picture of Rita at Rita’s!

Divider 3

We did lots of much needed shopping.  The older I get, the more I hate shopping for myself.  The clothes that look adorable are no longer age appropriate and things just don’t seem to fit quite right.  I was in desperate need of some new pants for work though.  I was still wearing capris from 8 years ago!  I finally found some at Loft and NY & Co.  Where are your go to places for work clothes?  I need a retail intervention!

Divider 4

My daughter turns 15 this month.  Seriously, where does the time go?  She was a spring break baby.  I had her over break and took the rest of the school year off for maternity leave.  I was blessed to have almost 5 months at home with her before school started again.  I kind of miss planning the cute little themed parties for her but it was pretty nice to just drive them to a restaurant for dinner and not have to worry about the prep and clean up!  My husband and I had to laugh at this picture though.  Sitting on a bench waiting for our table and they are all on their phones!  They crack me up!

photo 4

Divider 5

One of the coolest things that we did over break was a family service project.  We went out to my dad’s community center and packed food for Food for Kidz.  It was such a fun experience.  Each bag of food can feed 6 kids and in the hour that we were there over 4,600 bags were packed.  When we left, they still had volunteers working shifts to pack food for 4 more hours.  I can’t wait to hear what the total was!  Such a great experience!

Food for Kidz

We look so lovely in our hair nets! 
For those of you finishing up your break like me, have a great week back to school.  For those of you just starting, I’m so jealous!  Have a great weekend everyone!  I will be back soon with Part 2 of Genius Hour and with my visual plans!

1 comment: