Image Map

Friday, October 25, 2013

Five For Friday


fiveforfriday2_thumb[3]
 
Can it be that 2 weeks in a row I am actually on time for Five For Friday!  I’m feeling pretty accomplished!
 
Divider 1
 
I was scrolling through Instagram about 2 weeks ago and I spotted the cutest Halloween math centers created by Aynsley Patton from Mrs. Patton’s Class.
 
original-929415-1
 
  I had just uploaded my Halloween themed centers to TpT and thought it would be fun to do a little product swap.  The best part is that we both would have math stations done for 2 weeks!  I contacted her and we swapped centers!  Her centers are absolutely adorable.  They work on important place value skills that my kiddos could definitely use more practice on!  I couldn’t wait to get these printed, laminated and ready to go!
 
photo 1
 
I am in love with this activity to practice rounding to the nearest hundred.  We spent LOTS of time on this last week but I still have several kiddos struggling with it.  I quickly got these cuties printed and laminated just in time for my helper grandma to come in.  She pulled kiddos out in the hall and used these to review the skill.  When she was finished, I asked how it had gone, she said they were really starting to get the hang of it and that several students from other classes walked past on their way to the restrooms and slowed down to check out what they were doing!  I’d say they were a big hit!
 
I also can’t wait to add this one to my math workstations next week!
 
photo 3
 
These adorable monster cards will be taped all around our classroom and they will have to hunt them down and complete the number patterns.  I am a huge fan of anything that gets them out of their seats and I just know they are going to love this! There are plenty of other fun monster centers!  Click on the links above to hop on over to TpT and check out Aynsley’s adorable centers!
 
Divider 2
 
photo 2
 
We got down to business on our plant investigations this week.  This year I have the gifted cluster class, which means that I have 11 students who are identified as gifted.  One of the things I love about teaching them is their curiosity and love of learning.  Immediately after beginning our first investigation, several of them were already coming up with other questions they wanted answered and other investigations we could do.  I love that they love learning new things!  The investigations that we are working on right now are all from my “Plant Parts Aplenty,” pack.
 
plant parts
 
You can check it out HERE.

Divider 3
 
I seem to have a hoarding problem in my classroom.  It’s like they are worried that I will run out of books for them.  I looked around the room yesterday in disbelief at the stacks they had on their desks.  I grabbed my camera and snapped a few pics.
 
photo 1 
 
A few caught on to what I was doing when I heard, “I’ve got a 7 stacker over here!”  I just about died of laughter.  I am sure my teammates are reading this and rolling their eyes…..gifted kiddo problems right?  I’m not sure that’s it though.  Plenty of my hoarders aren’t.  I would like to think that it’s the culture of our classroom to love reading so much that you don’t ever want to be without a book.  I would like to think that it’s because they are so motivated to read.  I’m not sure the reason, but we talked about the proper way to store our books and the fact that our classroom library is pretty large and there are plenty of books to go around!
 
Divider 4
 
photo 1
 
I’m pretty sure I’ve talked about Cory before.  He is OUR football reader from the high school football team.  My kiddos love Thursdays when he comes over from the high school wearing his jersey to read to them.  They beg him to make a muscle and ask him all kinds of football questions.  My favorite one was, “How did you get so big?”  They just adore him.  When he finishes reading we always give a class cheer to thank him.  This week he did his football team cheer with them.  He huddled them all up and yelled, “Somebody light me up!” To which they all responded, “ssssssss……..BOOM!”  They pretty much thought that was the coolest thing ever!
 
Divider 5
My 5th Five for Friday has no picture to insert.  It’s just this……I am tired.  When I say tired, I know all of you teachers who are reading this understand the tired I am talking about.  I can’t wait for the weekend to be here.  I am thinking that I might just pretend the laundry and dirty floors don’t exist and take a big long nap on Saturday.  That is before I have to drive the girls to Nutcracker rehearsal, grab them something to eat, go to church, grocery shop, finish grading papers from this week………I’m tired just thinking about it all!  Here’s hoping that a nap is a real possibility. 
 
Happy Friday everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jennifer,

    I just love to hear stories about Cory visiting your class. How wonderful for your kidlets to have a great role model to look up to. Cory sounds like a really lovely young man, you are lucky to have him as a regular visitor to your classroom. :)

    Lauren
    Love, Laughter and Learning in Prep!

    ReplyDelete